We read The Dot (Peter H. Reynolds), a book about creativity and making our own mark in the world. Then we made our own dot pictures. You can see them displayed in our classroom. We also continued working on our Beautiful Stuff project. Our letters are coming out AWESOME!
After reading If You Take a Mouse to School (Laura Numeroff) we spoke about what we do in school. I sense a theme running through here.
“Young children learn the most important things not by being told but by constructing knowledge for themselves in interaction with the physical world and with other children – and the way they do this is by playing.” (Source: Jones, E., & Reynolds, G. (1992). The play’s the thing: Teachers’ roles in children’s play, p. 1)
So I say…let the children play!
This week we also made our own orange play dough! We all helped to measure, scoop, pour, mix and knead! This activity covered many early learning developmental skills such as cognitive (vocabulary: measure, scoop, pour, mix, knead), social skills (waiting our turn, which was very hard), math (measuring), science (liquids, solids, red + yellow = orange), & physical (using our FM skills to mix & knead which will eventually strengthen our writing skills). We then used “l oose parts” (pipe cleaners, gemstones, fabric leaves, craft sticks) to create some unique masterpieces. Above all, it was tons of fun!
Sadly, we said goodbye to our friend, Andrew this week. He will be starting the Sachem UPK program next week. Although we will miss him lots, we know he is going to love it and have a great experience! Good luck, Andrew!
• Remember: School picture day is on 9/30 & 10/1. Flyers & envelopes were sent home. If you want to order pictures, the money must be sent in before or on picture day.
• Open house for parents will be scheduled in October.
• Field trip information to come soon.
• Speech screenings will be offered by Little Angels Center at no cost to families. More information to come as soon as the dates are scheduled.
• Scholastic October flyers were sent home last week. Book orders are due Friday, 10/11/15.
Always feel free to speak to any of us about any concerns/issues you might have. We are all in this together & want your child to have the most positive preschool experience possible!
We actually have a full week of school next week! All five days! Woo hoo!
Ms. Sheri, Ms. Joyce, Ms. Sarah,
Miss Miranda, Ms. Fabi & Ms. Bethany