Now that the cold weather is here we are working with our 4's to independently put on their coats & zipper them. Our 2's & 3's are working on unzipping & independently taking off their own coats. The look on their faces when they accomplish these tasks is one of pure joy!
During small group with our 4's, we focused on the letters/sounds of Ss & Tt as well as identified who has those letters in their name. During large group time, we were moving & grooving to our new December songs. We also read many different books to learn about Chanukah.
We have been working on a special holiday gift for our families & think you will love it! It's a surprise so don't ask your children about it! We also sponge painted with dreidel-shaped sponges & practiced scissor skills by cutting holiday wrapping paper.
Ms. Sheri set up a Polar Express theme center with trains, trees, snow & lights. The children love this area & are learning how to play cooperatively as well as play carefully around the little lights. We're teaching them to treat the classroom toys & books with respect so they don't break or rip. If that happens, they know we won't have the toys or books to use anymore. They are beginning to understand this concept since we started reinforcing this in the beginning of the school year. Another big hit this week was our Hanukkah sensory bin filled with dreidels, stars, gemstones, bells, beads, pom poms & crinkled paper along with magnetic wands to catch the bells. It really is the most wonderful time of the year!
On Friday afternoon we made "Christmas Stew" during circle. Students picked a card, identified each number, counted each ingredient, then placed it in the pot. Once all 3 ingredients were in the pot, the student stirred it up while we all sang a song! Then the items were taken out of the pot & sorted back onto the tray. Every child had a turn & even our youngest loved mixing the items in the pot while we helped count. The children enjoyed it & asked to play again!
Christmas Freeze Dance (Kiboomers)
Dreidel Hokey Pokey (Kiboomers)
Reindeer Pokey (Kiboomers)
Creative Kids Anthem
Criss Cross Applesauce
Hickey, Picky Bumblebee
Jump Up & Down (transition song)
The Goodbye Song
Books We Read:
What is Hanukkah? (Harriet Ziefert)
Is it Hanukkah Yet? (Chris Barash)
ABC Hanukkah Hunt (Tilda Balsley)
Clifford Celebrates Hanukkah (Norman Bridwell)
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Dreidel (Caryn Yacowitz)
The Night Before Hanukkah (Natasha Wing)
12/20: Anthony C.
- For our holiday party this year, we are asking families to bring in one traditional dish (meal or dessert) that you typically prepare for your holiday gatherings. We thought this would be interesting as we are a multicultural group & it will give the children a chance to sample different foods that their friends eat. There will be a sign up sheet by the front door for you to let us know what you're bringing. Thank you for your participation.
- Please to send in a small treat (no candy please) by 12/19 for the holiday treat bags to be distributed at our holiday party on 12/21. We have 22 children who attend in the AM & 14 children who attend in the PM. Thank you for your participation.
- Holiday Spirit Week:
- December 17 - Blizzard Day - Wear White to School
- December 18 - Ugly/Cozy/Holiday Sweater Day
- December 19 - Holiday Hats, Bows & Headband Day
- December 20 - Pajama Day - Wearing your comfiest pajamas to school!
- December 21 - Dress your Best for our Winter Celebration in school
- (10:30-11:30 & 2:00-3:00)
- We are collecting pajamas for our pajama drive through 12/14. The pajamas will be donated to an organization along with a book donated by Scholastic.
- Ms. Sheri will be out from 12/10-12/14. Please direct any questions or concerns to Ms. Joyce & Miss Fabi. Ms. Jenn & Ms. Kathy will be here as well.
- Scholastic book orders are due December 7.
Have a fabulous weekend!
Ms. Sheri, Ms. Joyce & Miss Fabi
“Give your kids a holiday season filled with moments to remember, not toys they'll forget.”